- Fine motor development : The use of play-dough builds up strength in their little hand muscles which prepares them for the use of pencil control later on.
- General Concentration & Creativity: There are many activities to partake in with the use of play-dough, like molding figures, hiding objects inside, rolling balls, counting, learning colors, sorting, matching, ordering, etc. Get creative and you're in for hours of fun!
- Sensory Development: We sometimes forget that our children are experiencing everything for the very first time, and we must nurture their senses and allow them to explore them whole-heartedly. Play-dough acts as an excellent source for this! Admit it, even you still enjoy it. Try mixing play-dough with rougher objects and allow your children to explore and develop. Adding essential oils adds an even extra benefit.
- It's Calming : Squeezing play-dough relieves stress and anxiety in the same way your stress-ball does. Essential oils add an extra component to stress-relief, so the next time your child is feeling anxious this will come in handy!
Here is what you'll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour - For a Gluten Free option replace with Rice flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Food coloring of choice
- 8 drops of Essential Oil; we like Lavender to relax our kiddos.
Here is what you'll do:
In a sauce pan, stir the flour, salt, and cream of tartar.
Then, add in the water, cooking oil, and food coloring.
Mix until smooth.
Stir the mixture over medium-high heat until mixture has formed a ball.
Once your mixture has reached a play-dough consistency, remove from heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on parchment paper.
Once cool, knead in your essential oils.
Store in the fridge for optimum quality!